History of AEON Financial Service
1981Nihon Credit Service Co., Ltd. established (currently AEON Financial Service)
Nihon Credit Service Co., Ltd. was established as a wholly owned subsidiary of JUSCO Co., Ltd. in June 1981. Nihon Credit Service began operations in July 1981 when JUSCO transferred its credit card-related operations to it. Nihon Credit Service added hire purchase operations in December 1981 and credit card loans in 1982, and transaction volume has continued to increase steadily.
- October 1982
- Initiated credit card cash advance services
- April 1984
- Registered as a money lender (Director-General of the Kanto Finance (1) No. 00215)
- September 1984
- Began installing cash dispensers
- May 1985
- Initiated life insurance agency operations
- May 1986
- Begin issuing combined Jusco/Yucho (Postal Savings system) Card
1987Established a branch in Hong Kong
We established the Hong Kong Branch as our first overseas base. We began doing business in Asia, including furniture and home appliance hire purchase operations for Group stores.
Since 1987, we have built businesses in various regions that allow us to contribute to convenient and affluent lives for customers in Asia by providing financial services that are attuned to their lives.
December 1988Began issuing the Jusco VISA Card through an alliance with Visa Japan Association
In December 1988, we began issuing international cards in partnership with Visa Japan Association (now VJA), MasterCard International (now MasterCard Worldwide), and JCB Corporation. This made the JUSCO Card significantly more convenient by enabling its use at JCB, UC, VISA and MasterCard affiliated merchants.
- July 1989
- egistered as a provider of installment payment services (registration number Kan-17)
- January 1990
- Established NCS Kosan Co., Ltd. as a wholly owned subsidiary in the insurance agency business
July 1990Established AEON Credit Service (Asia) Co., Ltd. in Hong Kong
December 1992Established AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) PLC in Thailand
August 1994Nihon Credit Service Co., Ltd. changed its name to AEON Credit Service Co., Ltd.
- December 1994
- AEON Credit Service Co., Ltd. registered its shares on the JASDAQ (over-the-counter) market
1995 Shares listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
Established Nihon Credit Service (Asia) Co., Ltd. (currently AEON Credit Service (Asia) Co., Ltd.) in Hong Kong in July 1990, and listed its shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in September 1995. We also proactively developed overseas businesses, which included establishing subsidiary AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) PLC in Thailand in December 1992.
- July 1996
- Opened a card processing center
December 1996AEON Credit Service listed its shares on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
December 1996Established AEON Credit Service (M) Sdn. Bhd. in Malaysia
- December 1996
- Began making donations to the Japan Braille Library and the National Land Afforestation Promotion Organization via Tokimeki points
1998AEON Credit Service listed its shares on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange
Registered shares on JASDAQ in 1994, listed shares on the Second Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 1996, and then listed shares on the First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 1998
- September 1998
- Established wholly owned subsidiary ACS Finance Co., Ltd.
- February 1999
- Established wholly owned subsidiary ACS Credit Management Co., Ltd.
- December 1999
- Established AEON Credit Service (Taiwan) Co., Ltd. in Taiwan
- June 2000
- Established subsidiary AEON Information Service (Shenzen) Co., Ltd. in Shenzhen, China
2000Began issuing the AEON Card
In 2000, we consolidated AEON Group affinity cards in stages and began issuing the AEON Card. Renewing the JUSCO Card as the AEON Card built awareness of the AEON Brand, and we offered customers greater convenience by sharing the benefits of Group companies.
- March 2001
- Opened a credit control center
June 2001Initiated the industry’s first electronic account transfer system
We were the industry's first credit card issuer to introduce an electronic account transfer system for using a cash card to complete credit card payments.
Our plan enabling customers to complete the procedure for setting account withdrawals using only a personal identification number exemplified our initiatives to shorten the time from application to credit card issuance.
2001Shares listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand
We established AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) PLC as our next overseas base after Hong Kong in 1992, and listed its shares on the Stock Exchange of Thailand in December 2001.
- April 2002
- Began issuing the SATY VIVRE Card through an alliance with MYCAL CORPORATION
December 2013Began issuing the AEON Gold Card, the industry’s first credit card with no annual fee
In December 2003 we began issuing the AEON Gold Card for highly active cardholders that offered benefits such as overseas and domestic travel accident insurance of up to \30 million in addition to the benefits of AEON cards.
July 2004First in the industry to waive annual fees on all cards, including the AEON Gold Card and electronic toll collection (ETC) cards
- November 2005
- Began issuing the first non-bank credit card in Malaysia through Malaysian subsidiary AEON Credit Service (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- January 2006
- Reached basic agreement on strategic alliance with Cosmo Oil Co., Ltd. in the credit business
- March 2006
- AEON Co., Ltd. announced it would enter the banking business
- May 2006
- Established AEON Financial Project Co., Ltd. as a bank preparation company
- May 2006
- Established Indonesian subsidiary P.T. AEON Credit Service Indonesia
- August 2006
- Established subsidiary AEON Credit Guarantee (China) Co., Ltd. in China
November 2006Launched AEONiD cellular phone credit service in cooperation with NTT DOCOMO, Inc.
On November 1, 2006, we launched the AEONiD cellular phone credit service for AEON Card and affinity cards using NTT DOCOMO, Inc.’s mobile phone credit iDTM service. It enables speedy, no-signature-required shopping by simply holding a mobile wallet over a dedicated reader terminal. It also offers a postpaid plan and does not require prepaid cash charges.
2007AEON Bank begins operations
AEON Integrated Finance Reserve Co., Ltd. changed its name to AEON Bank and began operations in October 2007 after acquiring a banking business license from the Financial Services Agency.
2007Shares listed in Malaysia
We established a subsidiary in Malaysia in December 2007 as our third overseas base. AEON Credit Service (M) Berhad listed its shares on the Malaysian stock exchange, Bursa Malaysia.
- April 2007
- Began issuing the AEON Card (with WAON), which includes a WAON e-money function
- February 2008
- Established subsidiary AEON Credit Technology Systems (Philippines) Inc. in the Philippines
- June 2008
- Established subsidiary ACS Trading Vietnam Co., Ltd. in Vietnam
February 2009Began issuing AEON CARD SELECT, a single card that functions as a credit card, cash card and e-money
We began issuing AEON CARD SELECT, a single card that has the functions and benefits of a credit card, an AEON Bank cash card and a WAON e-money card.
Cardholders can select payment methods that suit their lifestyles. It also complements traditional AEON Card benefits with new benefits such as a point service tailored to account usage.
March 2010AEON Bank began offering AEON Select Club to housing loan customers
- March 2011
- Established subsidiary AEON Credit Service India Private Limited in India
- April 2011
- Established subsidiary AEON Micro Finance (Shenyang) Co., Ltd. in Shenyang, China
- October 2011
- Established subsidiary AEON Microfinance (Cambodia) Private Company Limited in Cambodia
- September 2012
- Established subsidiary AEON Micro Finance (Tianjin) Co., Ltd. in Tianjin, China
April 2013AEON Financial Service created through management integration with AEON Bank
AEON Credit Service Co., Ltd. and AEON Bank Co., Ltd. conducted a management integration to become a bank holding company. The company changed its name to AEON Financial Service Co., Ltd.
- March 2013
- Established subsidiary AEON Credit Service (Philippines) Inc. in the Philippines
- April 2013
- Established subsidiary AEON Micro Finance (Shenzen) Co., Ltd. in Shenzen, China
- July 2013
- Established subsidiary AEON Microfinance (Myanmar) Co., Ltd. in Myanmar
- November 2015
- Established a wholly owned AEON Credit Service Co. Ltd. subsidiary, ACS Leasing Co. Ltd., in the leasing business
- February 2016
- AEON Microfinance (Cambodia) Private Company Limited in Cambodia acquired a specialized bank license and changed its name to AEON Specialized Bank (Cambodia) PLC.